By Warren Bobrow @warrenbobrow
The Hoochie Coochie Man is my twisted take on the beverage commonly known as a lassi. But first, what is a lassi? This drink is a tangle of not-so-exotic ingredients such as yoghurt, fruit pulp or puree, and near-eastern spices such as cardamom and clove. Refreshing to sip, the lassi serves as the base from the Hoochie Coochie Man which includes mango puree and of course the secret ingredient, namely the THC in cannabis.
This hand-held sipper takes to THC with alacrity, which means the high fat content of the yogurt when turned with your choice of strains, makes for a buzzy afternoon or even morning if the beverage serves as your wake-and-bake to start the day.
My version of the mango lassi contains cannabis infused light rum, but if you don’t want to involve alcohol in your libation, you can skip it by gently infusing the yogurt in the Levo2. Always keep a fresh container of yogurt handy as the heat will reduce the overall volume of the yogurt and you’ll want more at the end as my recipe only calls for 4 ounces. I’d start with a pint of yogurt and keep another pint at the ready.
- 4 oz. Mango Puree, available at Indian grocery stores or most gourmet grocers, the sweetened one is fine and will make the drink quite authentic tasting.
- 4 oz. Greek Style Yogurt. Start with a cup (that’s what fits in the Levo2) and have another cup on the side to add in later. This recipe is for one or two drinks…
- 1 oz. Cannabis infused light rum. I used a sugar cane juice rum, instead of the usual molasses rum. This would be a Rhum Agricole from Martinique
- 1 cup, crushed coconut water ice, quite simply- coconut water frozen into ice cubes and then crushed with a mallet.
- Creole style bitters like Peychaud’s
- Combine all the ingredients except for the bitters and ice into a blender
- Puree for thirty or so seconds
- Add fresh coconut water ice (crushed) to a goblet or Burgundy glass
- Dot with the creole bitters and serve