Cocktails for Insomniacs
This drink, code-named “The Sleepwalker’s Delight,” is of particular interest to those who, instead of sleeping, find themselves walking the floors at all hours of the night.
It’s an easy cocktail to make, especially when sleepwalking. Many of the ingredients hail to Europe, where meanderings in the nighttime are less suspect.
You won’t want to find yourself wallowing in your neighbor’s pool at 4 a.m., so be careful when sipping this warming cocktail. (Note: The aforementioned swimming pool reference is completely hypothetical and in no way related to an actual event. I plead the Fifth.)
The Somnambulist Cocktail
A few sips of this sleep-maker makes dreamweaving a whole lot easier. Cue the sheep.
- 3 ounces Eau de Vie of Williams Pear
- 2 ounces SNAP — USDA Certified Organic Ginger Snap liquor (80 proof, please. Go higher if you want to sleep for days.)
- Hot chocolate — your choice (I prefer the Aztec Spicy Hot Chocolate from MarieBelle)
- Pre-heat a large, chunky ceramic mug: Fill boiling hot water into the mug prior to cocktailing. Pour out just before making the drink.
- Prepare the spicy hot chocolate and add to the preheated mug. Add the liquors and sip carefully!
If your Somnambulist needs a chaser, try the film version of a sleepwalker’s cocktail, quite possibly the best horror film of all time. Sure, you’ll have nightmares, but you’re not sleeping anyway.