This little gem usually takes a whiskey made from Millet (an alternative grain) but in this case I’m using Barrell Bourbon from Kentucky. (122 Proof) I also concocted a vinegar drink called a shrub. What is a shrub? It’s a beverage that was very popular before refrigeration that uses fruit, sugar and vinegar to make a syrup that lasts far longer than fruit alone. In the centuries before refrigeration, people were required to use pickling techniques to make fragile foods last. Fruit unfortunately lasts only so long without chilling. But with the magical mixture of sugar, vinegar and fruit comes a tangy relationship that is good for digestion too!
- 4 oz. Blueberry-Raspberry Shrub
- 3 oz. Bourbon Whiskey (Barrell Bourbon)
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- 2 oz. Club Soda
- pinch of sea salt
- Chocolate Bitters
- To a Boston Shaker fill 3/4 with ice
- Add the Shrub, the Maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt along with the whiskey
- Cap and Shake!
- Pour into a utility glass with a couple cubes of ice
- dot the bitters over the top and serve!
When you’re on this runaway mountain train you won’t want to be coming back anytime soon!